LOUDOUN COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is a school district in Virginia. LCPS has a long-standing commitment to reducing costs while promoting energy efficiency through ENERGY STAR and demonstrating that it’s a good steward of public resources. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Raising the average ENERGY STAR score to 71, a four-point increase over 2019, and reducing weather normalized site energy use intensity by 16.6 percent.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification at 18 schools.
- Saving over $100 million in energy costs and preventing over 489,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions since 1993.
- Requiring Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR (DEES) in new construction and renovation projects and achieving DEES for three new schools and one renovation project.
- Awarding an energy services company contract to implement energy efficiency retrofit projects, setting the stage for implementing energy efficiency measures across the portfolio over the next eight years.
- Completing a guaranteed energy savings retrofit project in J. Lupton Simpson Middle School, which includes a 592 KW solar array comprised of 1,500 panels as well as a full LED lighting replacement.
- Adopting a School Board Resolution calling for state and federal action on climate change.