The Kroger Co.
Partner of the Year
The Kroger Company is the nation’s largest traditional grocery retailer, employing more than 375,000 associates who serve customers in 2,638 supermarkets and multi-department stores. Kroger is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its longtime commitment to investing in energy reduction initiatives. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for 165 stores in 2014 and joining the Certification Nation campaign as an Elite member.
- Achieving Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR recognition for 22 projects in 2014. Kroger pursues Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR for all new stores and major expansion projects.
- Reducing energy use by 33 million kilowatt hours (kWh), or $3 million, in 2014. Companywide, Kroger has reduced its energy use by 35 percent since 2000. That’s equivalent to 1.6 billion kWh.
- Implementing energy efficiency upgrades such as refrigerated service case light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofits, multi-deck case LED lighting retrofits, and decommissioning of produce island cases in their stores.
- Creating an environment of friendly competition among Division Energy Engineers by periodically issuing reports that tell the progress each Division is making toward certifying stores. These reports include the numbers of certified stores in each Division and the average ENERGY STAR 1-100 score.