Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc. is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store that operates more than 1,160 stores in 49 states. Kohl’s is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to seeking innovative solutions for reducing energy use while demonstrating the value of environmental stewardship to associates, customers, and the general public. Key 2105 accomplishments include:
- Certifying 62 buildings in 2015, including the 1,000th Kohl’s store. More than 86 percent of Kohl’s stores have now earned ENERGY STAR certification.
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy use intensity by 3.2 percent.
- Raising awareness by playing overhead announcements notifying customers that they are shopping in an ENERGY STAR certified store, and placing a message on the company intranet, Facebook, and Twitter, and at the bottom of receipts.
- Pursuing energy-efficient lighting in stores and distribution centers. Kohl’s light-emitting diode retrofit lighting projects were completed at 23 locations, resulting in an energy savings of almost 6 million kilowatt hours (kWh) in 2015. Kohl’s re-lamped 244 stores, switching from 32-watt fluorescent bulbs to 28-watt fluorescent bulbs and saving more than 11 million kWh.
- Convening an annual summit for staff across different departments, including sustainability, facilities, and store environment and design, along with vendors, to discuss improvements to increase energy efficiency and reduce waste.