Kohl's Department Stores
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Kohl’s Department Stores is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store that operates more than 1,162 stores in 49 states. Kohl’s is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to seeking innovative solutions for reducing energy use while demonstrating the value of environmental stewardship to associates, customers, and the general public. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Actively pursuing certification of its stores. In 2014, Kohl’s earned ENERGY STAR certification for 117 stores in 2014, bringing the company total to 934.
- Reducing weather normalized source energy use by 4.2 percent.
- Pursuing energy efficient operations in stores by retrofitting three lamp parabolic sales floor fixtures with light-emitting diode (LED) kits at 40 stores and replacing interior fluorescent warehouse light fixtures at two distribution centers, for a total savings of 11,750,838 kilowatt hours annually.
- Revising its sustainability strategies to reflect a focus beyond the core operation of its stores, distribution centers, and offices. Kohl’s sustainable operations strategy now combines energy efficiency, building design, and recycling and waste. Supply chain has also been officially added as a strategy, allowing Kohl’s to share its passion for efficient and sustainable operations with all of its business partners.
- Raising awareness of their partnership by playing overhead announcements in stores notifying customers that they are shopping in an ENERGY STAR certified store, and placing a message on the bottom of receipts stating that Kohl’s won ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence in 2014.