Kilroy Realty Corporation
Los Angeles, California
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Kilroy Realty Corporation (KRC) has owned, developed, acquired and managed real estate in major west coast markets for 70 years. The company currently owns 13.7 million square feet of office and 200 housing units with energy-efficient buildings. KRC is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for reducing energy consumption across its portfolio and for its leadership and stakeholder engagement in sustainability across the commercial real estate market. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking energy, water, and waste for all assets in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.
- Reducing weather-normalized site energy consumption in 2017 by 4.1 percent, the largest reduction in its history, and saving $7.7 million in energy costs since 2010.
- Launching the ‘Green Tenant Heroes’ Twitter promotion to celebrate the ENERGY STAR accomplishments of tenants.
- Launching the Kilroy Innovation Lab to formalize the process through which it pilots new efficiency projects, with its first formal partner being the Los Angeles Cleanteach Incubator.
- Participating as Charter Tenants in the ENERGY STAR Tenant Space pilot program.
- Earning the Designed to Earn ENERGY STAR certification for all eligible construction projects.
- Including standardized energy efficiency information, including the percentage of buildings certified under ENERGY STAR, in its Annual Financial Report in alignment with the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board.
- Undertaking projects for 5.2 megawatts (MW) of solar installations and 4.6 MW of battery storage throughout its portfolio.