Kilroy Realty Corporation
Los Angeles, California
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Kilroy Realty Corporation (KRC) is a real estate investment trust that has owned, developed, acquired, and managed real estate assets in major west coast office markets for more than 65 years. KRC owns 13.1 million rentable square feet of commercial office space across 101 buildings. KRC is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to achieving energy efficiency across its portfolio and successfully communicating the ENERGY STAR brand with tenants and brokers. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy use by 4.4 percent from 2014, or more than 9.5 million kilowatt hours (kWh). The annual carbon dioxide reduction is equivalent to taking 1,389 cars off the road for a year or providing a year of electricity to 602 homes. Since the 2010 launch of its energy efficiency programs, Kilroy has cumulatively saved over 21.5 million kWh and $3.88 million.
- Presenting its “Engineer All-Stars” Twitter campaign to celebrate energy reduction accomplishments and ENERGY STAR certifications achieved by KRC building engineers.
- Launching “Green Janitor Education” programs in 40 percent of KRC’s office space, empowering janitors to reduce energy and water use and increase recycling performance in KRC buildings.
- Expanding KRC’s tenant engagement programs to triple-net leased tenants, encouraging them to share energy data and coordinating KRC’s first ENERGY STAR certifications for triple-net leased buildings.
- Proactively engaging brokers, including participating in the BOMA Green Leasing taskforce and numerous broker speaking events.