Kenton County School District
Ft. Wright, Kentucky
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Kenton County School District (KCSD) is a school district in Kentucky. KCSD has been engaging staff, students, and the community in energy management and energy education since 2005. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Saving over $1.7 million in energy costs in 2021, equivalent to 34 teaching positions, and reducing energy and energy costs by 40% since 2005.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR® certification at nine schools.
- Implementing energy efficiency upgrades, including high-efficiency geothermal heat pumps and LED lighting in several schools.
- Integrating indoor air quality and energy efficiency management together, including the use of CO2 monitoring.
- Involving students and teachers in energy-saving practices, like a “Shutdown with ENERGY STAR” program to save energy over holiday breaks as well as communicating results of school-wide efforts.