Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
JCPenney is a clothing and home retail store. JCPenney demonstrated continued leadership in setting and exceeding energy efficiency and environmental goals and promoting best practices based on ENERGY STAR® tools and resources. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Achieving more than $6M in avoided energy costs for fiscal year 2022 through advanced energy management strategies, including incorporating new weekly performance reports and interval data into standard operations decisions, and its Shutdown With ENERGY STAR program.
- Retrofitting 137 stores with LED lighting, an $8M investment that will generate $5M annually in cost savings, investing more than $1.8 million to replace 392 JCPenney signage lights with LED lights, and budgeting an additional $14.5 million in 2023 to retrofit all remaining JCPenney stores with LED lights.
- Promoting JCPenney’s approach to eliminating energy waste through operational and behavior-based changes, the Shutdown With ENERGY STAR program, to store leadership, employees, local school districts, and ENERGY STAR partners, through emails, webinars, performance updates, and corporate sustainability reports.
- Benchmarking more than 600 stores and maintaining a high-performing, portfolio-wide average ENERGY STAR score of 82.
- Embedding long-term environmental sustainability within its business operations and corporate culture through a three-pronged focus on energy efficiency, sustainable factories, and community engagement.