J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
J.C. Penney Company, Inc. is a large apparel and home furnishings retailer, with approximately 1,000 stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. The company is receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition for outstanding corporate commitment to reducing energy and continued promotion of ENERGY STAR to associates and consumers. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Certifying more than 600 stores and reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by over 19 percent since 2004.
- Reducing energy use by 1.4 percent across its portfolio and improving the average ENERGY STAR score by about two percent, from 60 to 62.
- Achieving $1.9 million in avoided energy cost savings from operations and maintenance projects, a 75 percent increase over 2017.
- Improving the efficiency of 87 stores through new investments in LED retrofits, HVAC system replacements, chiller optimization, and energy management system upgrades.
- Training high school students to provide weekly operational reports to 75 store managers comparing the store’s actual energy cost to the budget and identifying energy spikes for analysis.
- Adjusting electrical demand use in its stores during peak load events through proactive measures while maintaining comfort levels of employees and patrons.