J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
J.C. Penney Company, Inc., is one of the nation’s largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, with approximately 1,000 department stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. J.C. Penney is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its strong, continuous commitment to energy efficiency. J.C. Penney’s smarter business model for managing energy goes beyond retrofitting/replacing equipment. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy use by 4 percent, a continuation of year-over-year savings that total a 19-percent improvement since 2009.
- Certifying an additional 16 stores, for a total of 677 certified properties nationwide.
- Hiring a dozen Energy Captain student interns to create reports of electricity use in 75 stores, enabling store managers to identify waste and take corrective action while providing students with valuable on-the-job training.
- Replacing over 40,000 fluorescent lights with light-emitting diode (LED) lights at more than 65 stores with estimated savings in excess of 10 million kilowatt hours (kWh).
- Performing energy audits at over 160 stores to verify lighting schedules, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment shut-off and other energy savings actions are being implemented as programmed.