J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
J.C. Penney Company, Inc., is one of the nation’s largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, with approximately 1,000 department stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. J.C. Penney is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its strong, continuous commitment to energy efficiency. J.C. Penney has demonstrated to the retail industry that there is a smarter business model for managing energy that goes beyond retrofitting/replacing equipment. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy use by 1.3 percent, a continuation of year-over-year savings that total a 19 percent improvement since 2009.
- Certifying an additional 44 stores, for a total of 661 certified properties nationwide.
- Participating in EPA’s ENERGY STAR Low Carbon IT campaign, reducing energy use by an estimated 1,924 megawatt hours (MWh) through the implementation of computer power management strategies.
- Completing light-emitting diode lighting retrofits at 49 stores, with an annual associated energy reduction in excess of 6,700 MWh.
- Providing 15-minute interval data to 125 additional stores in 2015, bringing the company’s nationwide total to 550 stores receiving detailed energy usage data to help identify energy savings opportunities and track performance.