JCPenney Company, Inc.
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
JCPenney is one of the nation’s largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, with approximately 1,000 department stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. JCPenney is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for continuing its strong commitment to energy efficiency. JCPenney has demonstrated to the retail industry that there is a smarter business model for managing energy that goes beyond retrofitting/replacing equipment. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Reducing its weather normalized source energy use by 3.1 percent in 2014, keeping the company on track to meet its goal of reducing total energy consumption 20 percent by 2015 (over a 2008 baseline).
- Fostering an energy conservation culture, having found that 42 percent of the company’s energy savings can be attributed to actively engaged associates, the company has placed a focus on educational programs for store associates to help to meet its corporate energy use goals.
- Certifying more than 100 buildings in 2014, bringing the company total to 618 certified buildings, which include stores, one distribution center, and the corporate headquarters in Plano, Texas.
- Entering 50 stores in EPA’s 2014 ENERGY STAR National Building Competition.
- Partnering with school districts such as Kenton County School District in Kentucky to expand students’ experience in managing their school’s energy to the business world of managing energy in a retail store.