Illinois Energy & Recycling Office at the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
Partner of the Year
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
The Illinois Energy & Recycling Office at the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), in collaboration with the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, implements a statewide Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) program called Illinois Home Performance (IHP). By supporting IHP, DCEO seeks to build demand for whole-home energy assessments and retrofits and develop a qualified workforce. DCEO is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its successful implementation of the HPwES program. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Leading 71 participating contractors to complete 2,971 HPwES projects across Illinois, each project earning Silver or Gold IHP Certificates in the process (a 58-percent increase in involved contractors and a 92-percent increase in projects).
- Issuing more than 2,000 Gold or Silver Illinois Home Performance Certificates, an official home improvement record integrated with Midwest Real Estate Data, Illinois’ largest Multiple Listing Service, to recognize homes achieving at least 15 percent energy savings.
- Supporting the training of 240 Illinois real estate professionals in building science, the value of energy efficiency, HPwES, and IHP Certificates.
- Fostering the success of U.S. Department of Energy Housing Innovation Award winner Green Energy Improvement.
- Encouraging the sustainability of contractor businesses by incorporating modeling or prescriptive paths, subsidizing contractor training, facilitating networking and job placement services, and developing financing tools.
- Collaborating with Ameren Electric Gas, Ameren Illinois Electric, Commonwealth Edison, Nicor Gas, North Shore Gas, and Peoples Gas to offer a robust statewide HPwES program.