HOUSTON HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - New Home Builder and Affordable Housing
Houston Habitat for Humanity, an affordable home builder and volunteer organization, has constructed nearly 750 ENERGY STAR® certified homes since joining the program in 1996. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Continuing to build all new homes to be ENERGY STAR certified while also completing more than 670 energy-efficient renovations as part of its ongoing Hurricane Harvey Recovery program.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR as an integral part of its identity in all print and electronic media, including throughout its website, external job site signage, and new collateral pieces given to donors.
- Ensuring that homeowners understand the energy efficiency features of their new home by having a dedicated staff member show them the ENERGY STAR features of their new home prior to closing and providing a maintenance manual that includes information about the home’s ENERGY STAR features.
- Supporting the local labor market through its “Build Your Future” program, which provides on-the-job training in residential construction and repair skills, including ENERGY STAR program requirements and how to achieve them.
- Improving quality control by training all construction staff on proper ENERGY STAR construction and using tools such as the ENERGY STAR Thermal Enclosure Rater Checklist with construction staff and insulation contractors to reduce callbacks needed to fix insulation deficiencies by 80%.