Houston Habitat for Humanity
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
New Home Builder and Affordable Housing
Houston Habitat for Humanity uses energy efficiency to help make its homes more affordable. Houston Habitat for Humanity is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to building ENERGY STAR certified homes. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Constructing more than 20 ENERGY STAR certified homes for a cumulative total of more than 650 since joining the program in 2007.
- Increasing the available income of their homeowners by $3,600 per year, and reducing utility bills to $70 monthly average, down from $110 in 2015.
- Promoting its ENERGY STAR partnership in all print materials and onsite signage, at major conferences and media events, and on a dedicated page on its website about sustainable building practices.
- Collaborating with architecture students at the University of Houston to design several energy efficient homes that will be constructed in 2017. One project won an American Institute of Architects Design award.
- Utilizing the ENERGY STAR inspection checklists to improve quality control, resulting in an 80 percent reduction in the number of callbacks to correct installation deficiencies.