The Home Depot
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Retailer
The Home Depot® is the world’s largest home improvement specialty retailer, with more than 2,266 retail stores in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico. The Home Depot is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for driving consumer awareness and adoption of ENERGY STAR throughout every aspect of its retail business—from product assortment to marketing and promotions. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Being a national leader on partnerships with the energy efficiency community, including full participation in the ENERGY STAR Retail Action Council, with the goal of increasing partnerships with energy efficiency program sponsors.
- Featuring ENERGY STAR in three national TV and eight national radio ads for lighting and appliances. Integrating ENERGY STAR into its print circular advertising, including 99 national print advertisements and 290 regional print advertisements. Combined, these efforts resulted in billions of consumer impressions.
- Being a leading participant in the ENERGY STAR LED Bulb Challenge and selling millions of certified light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs in 2014 alone. The Home Depot worked with its suppliers to offer low cost ENERGY STAR certified bulbs to its customers, and worked to educate them on the value of ENERGY STAR lighting by displaying and distributing ENERGY STAR print materials in all stores.
- Leveraging a three-phase strategy working with suppliers, advertising, and consumers to grow the company’s in-store ENERGY STAR assortment, adding 840 additional products and increasing ENERGY STAR sales by over 10 million units.
- Working with local utilities in 44 states to coordinate rebate offerings for ENERGY STAR products, resulting in approximately $300 million in incentives for customers. This included offering instant rebates for ENERGY STAR LED lighting products in 900 stores and consumer rebates of over $45 million.
- Educating all employees about the value of ENERGY STAR certified products through a variety of training programs from eLearning to Rapid Web Based Training, to Monthly Merchant Updates and Home Depot Television. Total impressions from these training vehicles were more than 197 million.