Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Hexion Inc. is a producer of adhesives and performance materials used in the production of engineered wood products and other specialty materials. The company upgraded its capital approval process by incorporating a sustainability checklist and greenhouse gas impact calculator for evaluating the emissions of all major projects that may impact the company’s carbon footprint. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Accomplishing a 36% reduction in energy intensity since 2014. This reduction comprised 229 projects with a value of $12.9 million.
- Completing a two-phase project at one plant that resulted in a 28% reduction in electrical consumption, prompting its consideration for other sites.
- Setting the key pathways of energy efficiency, renewable electricity supply, and recovered waste heat to electricity for achieving Hexion’s 2030 decarbonization goal.
- Upgrading the corporate organizational structure by naming a Chief Sustainability Officer and a Utilities and Environmental Sustainability Leader to integrate energy efficiency and greenhouse gas improvement efforts within the company.
- Sharing Hexion’s decarbonization planning approach with the ENERGY STAR® industrial partner network at the annual meeting of manufacturers.