Winston Salem, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Hanesbrands Inc. is a marketer of everyday basic apparel with over 68,000 employees globally and brands including Hanes, Champion, Maidenform, and Bali. The company’s global energy management program is based on ENERGY STAR® guidance and influences plants and people around the globe to practice energy efficiency. Hanesbrands is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for the continued growth of its corporate energy program. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Reaching a five-percent energy intensity improvement in 2017. Since 2007, the company has reduced energy intensity by 20.5 percent for a total energy cost avoidance of $200 million.
- Sharing the Hanesbrands program with ENERGY STAR partner Corning to benchmark best energy management practices.
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at 10 sites in 2017, bringing the total number of plants achieving a ten-percent intensity reduction to 23 worldwide.
- Promoting the company’s energy management efforts and ENERGY STAR at its Annual Energy Summit by holding an ENERGY STAR Industrial Showcase to introduce suppliers, employees, customers, and the public to energy management.
- Implementing a variety of strategic projects such as improving roof insulation to eliminate the need for a chiller and replacing clutch motors with servo motors on sewing machinery.
- Expanding the extent of the company’s communications about energy management and ENERGY STAR to reach a new high of 916 million ENERGY STAR impressions. Since 2007, Hanesbrands has generated more than 3 billion impressions to get the word out on ENERGY STAR resources.