Winston Salem, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
HanesBrands is a socially responsible, leading marketer of everyday basic apparel under some of the world’s strongest apparel brands, including Hanes, Champion, and Playtex, among others. Hanesbrands is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for the company’s continued efforts in sustainability by leveraging successes in energy management, environmental management, and product development. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a three-percent energy intensity reduction compared to 2014 and a 25-percent reduction since 2007, contributing to a 23-percent reduction in carbon emission intensity. Over this period, Hanesbrands reduced water use intensity by 32 percent.
- Establishing an aggressive new “2020 Vision” to reduce energy and carbon emissions by 40 percent and water use by 50 percent from a 2007 baseline year. Hanesbrands participates in a program to responsibly produce cotton, including decreasing greenhouse gas emissions associated with its growth.
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at five plants in 2015 to bring the company’s total number of achieving plants to 23.
- Pioneering the use of biomass combined heat and power plants to replace fossil fuel use at plants in developing countries.
- Implementing a multimedia communications strategy to inform people through 440 million media impressions about energy management and ENERGY STAR.