Winston Salem, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
HanesBrands is a socially responsible, leading marketer of everyday basic apparel under some of the world’s strongest apparel brands in the Americas, Asia, and Europe, including Hanes, Champion, and Playtex, among others. Hanesbrands is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for the company’s continued efforts in sustainability by leveraging successes in energy management, environmental management, and product development. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Improving energy intensity by nearly 24 percent since 2007 with a reduction of more than one percent occurring in 2014. Since 2007, Hanesbrands reduced carbon emissions by more than 24 percent and water use intensity by 31 percent.
- Hosting a key supplier workshop providing an opportunity to benchmark sustainability best practices and promote supplier engagement.
- Increasing the use of cotton yarn from recycled fabric to reduce the need for water, fertilizer, and herbicides, all energy intensive inputs to cotton growth.
- Enhancing employee engagement in the company’s energy management practices through the use of Energy Treasure Hunts at all manufacturing facilities to seek ways to improve efficiency. These efforts have yielded savings of more than $3 million and are a critical factor in the success of 18 plants achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry.
- Reaching 400 million impressions through multimedia communications promoting the company’s partnership with ENERGY STAR.
- Achieving the Hanesbrands’ President’s Energy Efficiency Award at 28 manufacturing locations.