Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
New Home Builder and Affordable Housing
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver, an affordable homebuilder and volunteer organization, has continued to improve its construction process to increase energy efficiency and enhance community awareness of ENERGY STAR through homeowner training and local outreach programs. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Constructing more than 300 ENERGY STAR certified homes since joining the program.
- Maintaining a commitment to building 100 percent ENERGY STAR certified homes, despite the loss of its volunteer workforce due to the pandemic.
- Teaching homeowners how to live in and maintain their ENERGY STAR certified homes, including end-of-build partner family walk-throughs, where homeowners learn about the energy-saving features of their homes and ways to save even more on their energy bills.
- Continuing its partnership with local high schools through Geometry in Construction, where students learn about and build modular energy-efficient homes with support from Habitat staff and are exposed to the benefits of ENERGY STAR certification.
- Hosting “Behind the Build” construction site tours for donors and sponsors, allowing them to see how homes are built, including how they meet the ENERGY STAR program requirements.
- Continuing to construct panelized wall systems in a self-run production warehouse to incorporate advanced framing techniques and reduce mistakes in the field.