Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
New Home Builder and Affordable Housing
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver, an affordable home builder and volunteer organization, has shown dedication to improving the construction process to increase energy efficiency and augmenting community awareness of ENERGY STAR through homeowner training and local outreach programs. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Constructing over 30 ENERGY STAR certified homes in 2019, for a total of nearly 300 since joining the program in 2002.
- Teaching homeowners how to live in and maintain their ENERGY STAR certified homes, including end-of-build partner family walk-throughs, where homeowners learn about the energy-saving features of their homes and ways to save even more on their energy bills.
- Collaborating with home energy rating companies to educate field staff about opportunities to continually improve construction methods and practices, resulting in better-built, more energy-efficient homes.
- Partnering with local high schools through Geomety in Construction, where students learn about and build modular energy efficient homes with support from Habitat staff and understand the benefits of the ENERGY STAR certification.
- Hosting Behind the Build construction site tours for donors and sponsors to see how homes are built, including how they meet the ENERGY STAR program requirements.
- Continuing to construct panelized walls systems in a self-run production warehouse to incorporate advanced framing techniques and reduce mistakes in the field.