Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
New Home Construction
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver (HFHMD) focuses on building high-quality, energy efficient homes to save low-income homeowners hundreds of dollars each year on utility costs. These energy savings increase the amount of funds homeowners are able to use for other necessities such as food, medical attention, and educational supplies for their children. HFHMD is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its outstanding commitment to providing affordable and energy efficient ENERGY STAR certified homes. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Completing 31 new ENERGY STAR certified homes in 2014. All of its homes have been ENERGY STAR certified since 2010, bringing the total number of ENERGY STAR certified homes built by HFHMD to more than 400.
- Constructing homes that meet the combined requirements of the EPA’s Indoor airPLUS, WaterSense®, and ENERGY STAR programs.
- Equipping all ENERGY STAR certified homes with ENERGY STAR certified products, including refrigerators, front-loading clothes washers, and compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs in all light fixtures.
- Providing ENERGY STAR certified homes with utility costs that are 30 to 40 percent less than standard homes and that emit approximately three tons less of carbon dioxide per home annually.
- Educating homeowners, both before and after their homes are built, on the energy efficiency features of their homes and how to maximize their energy savings by properly operating and maintaining their homes.