Greenville County Schools
Greenville, South Carolina
Partner of the Year
Greenville County Schools (GCS) is the largest public school system in South Carolina, educating more than 75,000 students across 85 schools, receiving Partner of the Year recognition. GCS has integrated ENERGY STAR tools and resources into its commitment to an effective energy management program and its goals to reduce energy cost and consumption. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Implementing ENERGY STAR’s Guidelines for Energy Management and realizing $6.5 million in avoided costs annually due to a district-wide energy management program.
- Reducing energy expenditures by three million dollars from 2015 to 2018, despite adding 600,000 square feet to its portfolio and experiencing a utility cost increase of 17 percent.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 68 schools in 2018.
- Providing annual training to more than 9,000 district employees in energy management, utilizing the ENERGY STAR Best Practices Checklist for Improved Energy Performance.
- Creating an after-school consolidation project to minimize the use of HVAC systems during programs that take place after school hours, with projected savings of $500,000 annually.
- Displaying ENERGY STAR certification decals at certified facilities, reaching over 500,000 visitors annually including thousands of families without internet access.