General Motors Company
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
General Motors Company (GM) is a motor vehicle manufacturer. GM continued to reduce manufacturing energy intensity in 2020, despite plant shutdowns, contributing to a 16 percent reduction from a 2010 baseline, representing more than $100 million in savings equivalent to the profit of the sales of 115,000 vehicles. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for two assembly plants and five buildings while achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry for six manufacturing sites.
- Participating in the ENERGY STAR Find the Treasure Campaign by sharing the results of 11 energy treasure hunts that found enough savings to reduce GM’s carbon footprint by 1 percent.
- Sharing energy management best practices within the ENERGY STAR industrial network, including GM’s procedures for conducting virtual energy treasure hunts.
- Using plant shutdowns due to the pandemic as an opportunity to challenge plants to reach new low levels of idle time energy consumption.
- Developing $60 million in energy performance contracts with energy service companies to provide long-term support for energy savings and carbon emissions reductions.