General Motors Company
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
General Motors Company (GM) is a global automobile manufacturer that produces vehicles in 30 countries. The company integrates its energy management program into its business plan and overall sustainability strategy. GM is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing progress in energy performance and support of ENERGY STAR. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Accomplishing 10-percent reduction in energy use on a per-vehicle basis at its U.S. manufacturing facilities compared to 2015. This reduction saves more than $10 million and is comparable to the profit from the sale of 10,000 vehicles.
- Investing $20 million on energy efficiency projects in the U.S. facilities with an average payback of two years, while leveraging energy performance contracts for lighting upgrades and steam elimination projects with longer paybacks.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification at 15 GM buildings and two assembly plants, and achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at 12 plants, bringing the number of GM plants accomplishing this goal to 75— the most of any company.
- Reaching over 11 million media impressions from ENERGY STAR-related announcements and communications.
- Announcing a new commitment to meet the electricity needs of 350 global operations in 59 countries with renewable energy by 2050.
- Actively participating in the ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Motor Vehicle Manufacturing and Industrial Partnership.