General Motors Company
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
General Motors Company (GM) is a global automobile manufacturer that produces vehicles in 30 countries and is driven by its mission to earn customer loyalty, apply meaningful technology advances and improve the communities where it does business. The company integrates its energy management program into its business plan and overall sustainability strategy. GM is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing progress in energy performance and support of ENERGY STAR. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Achieving nearly a six-percent reduction in energy use at its U.S. manufacturing facilities compared to 2014.
- Setting an industry-leading record of 73 plants achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry. These plants have saved more than $237 million in energy costs while reducing over 1.8 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Implementing a climate protection strategy that—through rigorous goals—drives energy management, low carbon energy procurement, and product design, all while communicating the need for climate management to the public.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification at 11 of its buildings and investing $104 million on energy efficiency projects globally—all with a two-year return on investment.
- Hosting the first Motor Vehicle Supplier Energy Management Training Camp.
- Achieving landfill-free status in 131 facilities worldwide that reuse, recycle, or convert all waste from operations to energy.