Food Lion, LLC
Salisbury, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Food Lion is a retail grocery store chain. Food Lion has integrated ENERGY STAR® into its energy management program since 2000, achieving a 29% energy savings worth $65 million across its portfolio of more than 1,000 stores. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Investing more than $19M in 2022 to upgrade 228 stores with LED lighting, for a total of 797 LED upgrades to date, which represent 72% of Food Lion stores.
- Creating a new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing council consisting of representatives across Ahold Delhaize and industry vendor partners that meets bi-weekly to identify best practices and standards in support of operational efficiency and energy performance across brands.
- Benchmarking the energy use of more than 1,000 stores in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® and maintaining an average ENERGY STAR score of 70.
- Educating associates, management, and customers through social media, in-store displays, signage, and media releases about energy management practices and achievements.
- Setting a goal to reach net-zero carbon emissions across all operations by 2040 (scope 1 and 2) and to become net-zero across all brands’ supply chains, products, and services no later than 2050 (scope 3), in accordance with the SBTi’s Net Zero Standard requirements.