Food Lion, LLC
Salisbury, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Food Lion is the largest operating entity within Ahold Delhaize, an international Belgian food retailer, with more than 1,000 grocery stores across the United States serving approximately 10 million customers a week. Food Lion is receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition for long-standing commitment to improving energy efficiency across its portfolio, and, since partnering with ENERGY STAR it has reduced energy consumption nearly 28 percent. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification in more than nine out of 10 stores in its portfolio, representing 37 percent of all U.S. supermarkets.
- Maintaining an average ENERGY STAR score of nearly 70 across its stores.
- Saving 1.41 billion BTUs by retrofitting sales floors and refrigeration cases with LED lighting, contributing to a portfolio-wide 28 percent decrease in energy use intensity since 2000.
- Saving 27,416 kWh from the top three finishers of its inaugural ENERGY STAR Battle of the Buildings-style contest involving 43 stores in South Carolina.
- Mentoring three sister brands with 756 stores to establish an energy management program and begin installations of energy efficient upgrades in their supermarkets.
- Boosting social media coverage of ENERGY STAR efforts on Facebook to 1.2 million followers and Twitter to 59,000 followers, up 9 and 2 percent respectively from 2017.