Food Lion, LLC
Salisbury, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Food Lion is the largest operating entity within Ahold Delhaize, an international Belgian food retailer, with more than 1,000 grocery stores across the United States. An ENERGY STAR® partner since 2000, Food Lion is continuing to reduce energy consumption as part of an ongoing store remodeling program. Food Lion is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing dedication to corporate sustainability and its promotion of the ENERGY STAR program. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification for 75 stores in 2017. To date, 92 percent of Food Lion stores have been certified at least once, many of them multiple times.
- Decreasing the portfolio’s Energy Use Intensity by 29 percent while saving 2.87 trillion Britsh thermal units (Btu) since 2000.
- Conducting a “Battle of the Buildings” pilot competition between 43 stores to engage store associates in energy reduction efforts. A larger competition will be launched in the future that encompasses their entire portfolio.
- Retrofitting LED lighting on sales floors of 109 stores with cumulative energy savings totaling 19 billion Btu.
- Posting cumulative energy savings of 627,895 metric tons since becoming an ENERGY STAR partner, which is comparable to changing 21 million incandescent lamps to LEDs.
- Contributing significantly to Delhaize America meeting its carbon-reduction goal three years early. Delhaize America surpassed its goal of a 20 percent carbon reduction by 2020 with a 23 percent reduction in 2017.