Food Lion, LLC
Salisbury, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Food Lion is the largest operating entity within Delhaize Group, an international Belgian food retailer. Food Lion’s 1,033 stores represent nearly half (47 percent) of Delhaize’s store portfolio (2,198 locations) in the United States. Food Lion is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued dedication to identifying, developing, and investing in new technologies and operational best practices to save energy and money. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 50 additional buildings in 2016, bringing the total to 953 properties and more than 90 percent of the U.S. portfolio.
- Installing medium-temperature door retrofits on refrigerators in 13 stores, saving 2.18 billion kBtu (thousand British thermal units) annually.
- Signing over 21,000 pledge actions supporting the ENERGY STAR Pledge, earning Food Lion first place out of 808 companies nationally and representing 68 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
- Taking part in Delhaize Group’s commitment to reduce its carbon footprint by 20 percent by 2020 over a 2008 baseline—Food Lion, along with its sister banner Hannaford, is expected to surpass the goal in 2016 with an estimated 24.7-percent reduction.
- Continuing an aggressive light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofit program on the sales floors in 104 stores, saving 33,735 kilowatt hours (kWh).