Salisbury, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Food Lion (FL) is the largest operating entity within Delhaize Group, an international Belgian food retailer in seven countries and on three continents. FL’s 1,102 stores represent almost a third (32 percent) of Delhaize’s store portfolio (3,445 locations). FL is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued dedication to identifying, developing, and investing in new technologies and operational best practices to save energy and money. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 58 additional buildings in 2015, bringing the total to 1,003 properties and more than 90 percent of the U.S. portfolio.
- Installing medium-temperature door retrofits on refrigerators in 38 stores, saving 14.57 billion British thermal units (kBtu) annually.
- Taking part in Delhaize Group’s commitment to reduce its carbon footprint by 20 percent by 2020 over a 2008 baseline—Food Lion, along with its sister banner Hannaford, achieved a 12.7-percent reduction.
- Quadrupling the number of Change the World: Start with ENERGY STAR pledges, earning FL second place out of 777 companies nationally and representing 117,649,222 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
- Continuing an aggressive light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofit program that included replacing High Intensity Discharge lights in high bay sales floors at 29 stores, replacing T8s on sales floors at 39 stores, and using LED parking lot lighting at two newly opened stores.