Salisbury, North Carolina
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Food Lion/Bottom Dollar Food (FL/BD) is the largest operating entity of Belgium-based Delhaize Group, which owns 3,377 stores in 11 countries. FL/BD is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued dedication to identifying, developing, and investing in new technologies and operational best practices to save energy and money. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Achieving total energy reductions of 2.925 trillion British thermal units and total carbon emissions reductions of 1.9 billion pounds since becoming an ENERGY STAR partner in 2000.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 16 stores in 2014, resulting in 84 percent of the total portfolio having earned certification.
- Implementing its new Condition-Based Maintenance program, whereby alerts are triggered when refrigeration systems are underperforming.
- Continuing an aggressive light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofit program that included retrofitting lighting in freezer cases from T8 to LEDs in 44 stores, replacing incandescent lights in walk-in coolers with LEDs in 89 stores, and establishing LED lighting as the company standard at all new construction stores.
- Sharing the company’s ENERGY STAR related accomplishments with 200,000 people through use of social media.