Focus on Energy
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Focus on Energy is Wisconsin utilities’ statewide energy efficiency and renewable resource program partnering with 108 utilities. Focus on Energy has extended the geographic reach of the ENERGY STAR® with an emphasis toward rural and under-represented populations. Focus on Energy is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its promotion of ENERGY STAR certified products and participation in the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES) program. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Increasing the HPwES budget by more than 20 percent in order to target projects in rural areas in 2017 and 2018. More than 10,000 rural customers have already been directly engaged though this effort.
- Recognizing a demand for lower-cost energy assessments and training contractors to offer the Home Energy Score. The company integrated the Home Energy Score in to its software and increasing the number of contractors qualified to offer the Home Energy Score by 125 percent since 2016.
- Reaching more than 850,000 Wisconsin residents with “Get the Feels” and “Big Red Door” marketing campaigns, highlighting the comfort and safety benefits of having an energy efficient homes and the blower door test.
- Developing materials for Spanish-speaking customers including a Spanish-language HPwES website, hiring Spanish-speaking customer service and contractor staff, and having Spanish-language radio presence.
- Being among the first efficiency programs to focus incentives on ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostats, a new specification that became effective in 2017.
- Incentivizing ENERGY STAR-certified LED bulbs to make them cost competitive, saving an estimated 3 billion kilowatt hours, and avoiding 2.25 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions.