Fannie Mae Multifamily
Washington, District Of Columbia
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Fannie Mae supports investment in energy and water efficiency at multifamily properties with mortgage financing incentives, resulting in better quality, more sustainable, and more affordable housing. Fannie Mae is receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition and has continued to expand on its green financing programs, raising awareness of the benefits of benchmarking and certification in the multifamily housing market and reaching thousands of owners and tenants. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Integrating ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® into standard multifamily mortgage loan processes, requiring over 7,200 properties to report ENERGY STAR scores in 2018, up by 20 percent from 2017.
- Launching a major six-million-dollar investment in its Green Measurement and Verification Service to ensure quality data is reported through Portfolio Manager for all mortgage loans that are required to submit energy performance metrics each year for the life of the loan.
- Educating green bond investors at more than 50 global organizations on Fannie Mae Green Bonds and the role that ENERGY STAR plays in communicating the environmental impact of a multifamily property backed by the bonds.
- Developing the Fannie Mae Green Bond Framework, describing to the bond market how each mortgage loan backed by a green bond leverages ENERGY STAR certification demonstrate top performance and ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager to report energy and water consumption data.
- Raising awareness of the benefits of ENERGY STAR appliances through required energy audits; in 2018 borrowers committed to install ENERGY STAR appliances in almost 19,000 multifamily units, up from 12,000 units in 2017.
- Continuing to educate lenders on the value of ENERGY STAR certifications and on reporting through ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, with over 595 lender attendees at 16 meetings/webinars in 2018.