Fannie Mae Multifamily
Washington, District Of Columbia
Partner of the Year
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Fannie Mae Multifamily is the leading provider of financing for multifamily properties in the United States. In 2014, Fannie Mae provided more than $28.6 billion in financing to the multifamily market, financing more than 500,000 units of multifamily housing. The company impacts millions of people by supporting quality, affordable residential housing. Fannie Mae is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its commitment to helping multifamily owners make their properties more environmentally sustainable by reducing energy and water consumption, in turn improving overall property quality. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Helping EPA launch the new 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score for multifamily properties by gathering data through its Energy and Water Market Research Survey.
- Integrating ENERGY STAR into the standard multifamily mortgage processes, allowing owners and lenders the ability to asses a property’s energy risk along with the financial risk.
- Communicating the value of the ENERGY STAR score for multifamily properties in the multifamily market through conference speaking engagements and roundtables, media articles, and social media outlets.
- Expanding its annual reporting requirements to include energy benchmarking. Multifamily properties within a jurisdiction that requires energy benchmarking reporting are now also required to report their ENERGY STAR score and source EUI annually to Fannie Mae.
- Improving connections between ENERGY STAR and the bond market by disclosing to MBS investors when a Fannie Mae-financed property has a certification under the ENERGY STAR score for multifamily program, expanding investors’ ability to assess bonds with ENERGY STAR certification differently than bonds without certified properties.