Washington, District of Columbia
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Fannie Mae is a federally sponsored financial institution for multifamily housing. Fannie Mae has continued to expand on its green financing programs, raising awareness of the benefits of benchmarking and certification in the multifamily housing market and reaching thousands of owners and tenants. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Collecting energy and water performance data on multifamily Green Mortgage Loans through its Green Measurement and Verification Service to ensure quality data reporting through ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager® for over 3,000 multifamily properties.
- Partnering with EPA to develop the 2023 Multifamily Market Research Energy and Water Survey, which will be used to update the ENERGY STAR score and EPA water score for multifamily properties.
- Initiating a research effort to identify utilities that pose a barrier to whole-property data access, which is a challenge across the efficiency industry and limits ability to measure the impact of its programs. This research will encourage market transformation, data transparency, and broader adoption of ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.
- Hosting the Green Financing Lender Learning Series on Multifamily building decarbonization and electrification to educate mortgage lenders on sustainability and the capital investment needs of multifamily property owners.
- Doubling the number of Single-Family Green Mortgage-Backed Security (MBS) issuances since 2021, for a total of 39 MBS worth $1.2 billion, all backed by loans from more than 3,200 ENERGY STAR certified homes, and publishing a “Single-Family Green MBS Primer” to further educate stakeholders.
- Updating software to allow energy rating companies to send ENERGY STAR certified home data more easily to Fannie Mae, encouraging timely verification of properties.