Washington, District of Columbia
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Fannie Mae is a federally sponsored financial institution for multifamily housing. Fannie Mae has continued to expand on its green financing programs, raising awareness of the benefits of benchmarking and certification in the multifamily housing market and reaching thousands of owners and tenants. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Collecting energy and water performance data on multifamily Green Mortgage Loans through its Green Measurement and Verification Service to ensure quality data reporting through ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® for nearly 3,000 multifamily properties in 2020, up from 1,900 in 2019.
- Increasing the uptake of ENERGY STAR products at Green Rewards properties. In 2020, ENERGY STAR products, fixtures, or appliances were recommended at 100 percent of Green Rewards properties and selected at 98 percent of them.
- Conducting its fourth annual analysis of Green Building Certifications available to the multifamily market, which includes four ENERGY STAR building certifications, and published a white paper detailing the technical approach, titled “Driving Market Transformation Ranking and Rewarding Certifications for Energy-Efficient and Healthy Multifamily Buildings.”
- Launching a new Single-Family Green Mortgage-Backed Security (MBS) under its Green Bond Program, worth more than $80 million across 11 MBS issuances and backed by mortgage loans for nearly 300 ENERGY STAR certified homes.
- Partnering with homebuilders, lenders, and energy rating companies to identify and validate single-family loans backed by ENERGY STAR certified homes, and then operationalizing and automating the process to more easily identify all home loans backed by ENERGY STAR certified homes.
- Educating the market about the value of ENERGY STAR certified homes through a large-scale social media and outreach campaign, including three social media posts that generated more than 150,000 impressions and 1,000 clicks each.