Fairfax County Public Schools
Falls Church, Virginia
Partner of the Year
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is the 10th largest school district in the nation with over 220 facilities serving more than 180,000 students. FCPS has a long-standing partnership with ENERGY STAR®, combining principal engagement, energy-saving practices, and the use of ENERGY STAR certified equipment to save energy and protect the environment. FCPS is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its ongoing commitment to finding new ways to save energy and promoting its successes with the ENERGY STAR program. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 153 buildings.
- Achieving $10.5 million in energy savings since 2014 as a result of a comprehensive energy conservation program called Get2Green, incorporating ENERGY STAR tools and resources.
- Reaching an 11-percent reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. The district has cut more than 49,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide since 2014, which is equivalent to the carbon dioxide saved by more than 1.2 million tree seedlings grown for ten years.
- Training more than 100 educators to teach students about energy efficiency and conservation through their lesson plans, activities, and classroom materials.
- Promoting a culture of energy conservation and environmental stewardship through the ENERGY STAR program by displaying the ENERGY STAR logo on all publications, banners at schools, community videos, educational presentations, newsletter stories, and holding regular energy committee and sustainability meetings.
- Participating in EPA’s ENERGY STAR National Building Competition: BOOTCAMP.