Eastman Chemical Company
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Eastman is a global specialty chemical company that manufactures a broad range of products found in everyday items. Eastman is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for improving efficiency while transforming its portfolio toward specialty chemicals and for developing energy efficiency breakthroughs in chemical production processes. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy intensity by more than three percent over 2015. Energy intensity has improved more than 10 percent since 2008. Using the baseline energy intensity compared to current production at present energy prices, Eastman would have spent $36.3 million more in 2016 on energy if the energy intensity had not changed since 2008.
- Formulating successful energy management strategies to control inefficiencies as the business shifted to the manufacture of specialty chemicals, which tend to be more energy intensive.
- Initiating 120 energy savings projects with a focus on optimizing steam and electrical systems by engaging consultants and internal utility, capital, and manufacturing staff. Simple payback of these projects is greater than industry average indicating the maturity of the Eastman energy program.
- Participating in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry by achieving a 10-percent reduction in energy intensity at two Eastman sites and entering two buildings in EPA’s National Building Competition: BOOTCAMP.
- Supporting ENERGY STAR industrial partners and the community by engaging and informing about energy efficiency and opportunities for savings.