East Baton Rouge Parish School System
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Partner of the Year - Energy Management
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System (EBRPSS) is a public school district in Louisiana. Through its energy management efforts, EBRPSS saved $1 million and raised an elementary school’s ENERGY STAR® score to a 93 in 2 years. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Preventing more than 5,500 metrics tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification at one school, in addition to the four certified in 2020.
- Using ENERGY STAR Treasure Hunts to identify and implement several no-cost and low-cost conservation measures, totaling more than $25,000 of annual energy savings and preventing emissions of over 72 metric tons of carbon dioxide.
- Improving a new elementary school’s ENERGY STAR score from a 16 in 2019 to a 93 in 2021 through improved building automation system controls and refinements, as well as efficient space utilization for after-hours programs.
- Engaging students in energy efficiency projects including a student-led exterior light audit and grant application to cover 10% of LED retrofits, as well as a student-produced ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Public Service Announcement.
- Receiving more than $90,000 of direct utility bill refunds and credits by discovering billing errors and misapplied charges through auditing of monthly utility bills.