East Baton Rouge Parish School System
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Partner of the Year
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System (EBRPSS) is a public school district in Louisiana. EBRPSS committed to improve its energy management efforts in order to control and reduce operating costs, as well as to improve aging infrastructure. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Improving its average ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® score by 29.9 percent, from 39.4 to 51.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification at two schools in 2020.
- Realizing energy cost savings of more than $1.7 million, preventing more than 10,000 metrics tons of carbon dioxide, and reducing energy water consumption by over 27 million gallons in 2020 and saving over $46 million in energy costs over the life of the program.
- Saving more than $110,000 of direct utility bill refunds and credits by discovering billing errors and misapplied charges through auditing of monthly utility bills, bringing cumulative refund and credit savings to more than $1.2 million and since 2014.
- Utilizing ENERGY STAR Treasure Hunts to identify and implement several no-cost/low-cost conservation measures at four school district sites, totaling nearly $27,000 of annual energy savings and preventing emissions of over 210 metric tons of carbon dioxide.
- Instituting an Energy Conservation Page in the district newsletter reaching over 41,000 students and their parents, 5,200 district employees, and 441,000 school district/community stakeholders.
- Installing ENERGY STAR certified LED light fixtures, three high-efficiency air-cooled chillers, and four high efficiency hydronic condensing boilers in a new elementary school.
- Receiving the 2020 Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) Region IV Energy Management Award for results obtained through the implementation of ENERGY STAR best practices.