Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Product Brand Owner
DIRECTV, now part of the AT&T family, is a leading global technology and pay-television provider. DIRECTV is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for delivering the best in efficient set top boxes, partnering with utilities and researchers to drive efficiency in pay-television, and educating students about climate change. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Delivering more than 10 million ENERGY STAR certified receivers in 2015, which have the highest level of efficiency among all pay-television boxes, saving customers 420 million kilowatt hours and $55 million each year.
- Raising awareness on the role of energy efficiency in combating climate change by engaging 16,000 students in a virtual field trip with Administrator Gina McCarthy. This collaboration between DIRECTV, Discovery Education, and EPA extended science and technology education to millions of teachers and students by developing and distributing valuable teaching materials.
- Educating many millions of customers about the power savings of ENERGY STAR receivers using an ENERGY STAR-themed public service announcement (PSA), customer e-mail, Twitter messages, newsletter, and the DIRECTV website.
- Improving on its energy saving whole-home digital video recorder (DVR) solution, with its latest generation Genie box delivering one third more efficiency than called for by the latest ENERGY STAR requirements.
- Training all DIRECTV call center agents and 6,000 technicians, who communicate with more than 20 million U.S. customers, on the benefits of ENERGY STAR.
- Partnering with the New Jersey Clean Energy Team and the California Plug Load Research Center to drive efficiency in pay-television.
- Refurbishing seven million set top boxes and safely recycling more than 18 million pounds of electronic waste.