El Segundo, California
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Product Brand Owner
DIRECTV is one of the world's leading providers of digital television entertainment services with more than 37 million customers in the United States and Latin America. DIRECTV is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for investing in efficient designs for pay TV hardware and services, partnering with utilities to put this equipment into homes, and educating technicians and customers about energy savings with their ENERGY STAR certified receivers. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Ensuring 100 percent of the more than 12 million receivers it purchased in 2014 were ENERGY STAR certified even with the transition to new, rigorous ENERGY STAR requirements; enabling DIRECTV customers to save 845 million kilowatt hours and $105 million annually.
- Deploying 65 million ENERGY STAR certified receivers since joining the program in 2009; reducing energy consumption of its receivers by eight percent since 2012, despite a three-percent increase in receivers deployed.
- Leading in the design and promotion of whole home solutions; using 40 percent less energy than a three DVR approach.
- Educating tens of millions of customers on power savings of their ENERGY STAR receivers through PSAs, social media, customer bills, and Tips and Tricks kits for new customers.
- Partnering with key utility efficiency programs to pilot replacement of older receivers with the best in efficiency today.
- Being a committed advocate for efficiency and the environment—repairing or safely recycling all of its receivers; upgrading facility efficiency; being a SmartWay shipper; and benchmarking its buildings in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.