Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is a public school district in Iowa. DMPS promoted energy efficiency awareness to students, staff, and the community and has continued its longstanding commitment to sustainability by implementing ENERGY STAR® best practices for comprehensive energy management. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Saving more than $21.7 million since 2008, including $1.4 million in 2021 alone, as well as reducing site energy use by more than 30% when compared to baseline.
- Benchmarking 100% of DMPS facilities, totaling over 5.8 million square feet, in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® and achieving ENERGY STAR certification at 21 schools.
- Leading the City of Des Moines to become the third-ranked mid-sized city on EPA’s 2021 ENERGY STAR Top Mid-Sized Cities listing.
- Completing the first solar array within the district at Jefferson Elementary, which is expected to generate approximately 80 percent of the school’s energy.
- Spending an average of $139 per student on energy costs, significantly lower than the national average of $205 per student.
- Promoting energy practices and ENERGY STAR to the community through Energy Report Cards delivered to nearly 5,000 staff and interested parties across the country.