Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is a public school district in Iowa. DMPS promoted energy efficiency awareness to students, staff, and the community and has continued its longstanding commitment to sustainability by implementing ENERGY STAR best practices for comprehensive energy management, and has saved more than $20.2 million and prevented the emissions of more than 40,600 metric tons of carbon dioxide since 2008. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking 100 percent of DMPS facilities in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, totaling over 6.1 million square feet to achieve an average ENERGY STAR score of 83.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification at 41 schools.
- Developing plans and specification documents for HVAC upgrade projects at 10 buildings, utilizing state-of-the-art energy efficient equipment.
- Decreasing site energy use by more than 127 BBTU and source energy use by more than 184 BBTU since 2009.
- Spending an average of $124 per student on energy costs, significantly lower than the national average of $205 per student.
- Leading the City of Des Moines to become the third-ranked mid-sized city on EPA’s 2020 ENERGY STAR Top Mid-Sized Cities listing.
- Saving more than $2 million compared to 2008 baseline energy year expenditures.