Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is a public school district in Iowa. DMPS promoted energy efficiency awareness to students, staff and the community and has continued its longstanding commitment to sustainability by implementing ENERGY STAR best practices for comprehensive energy management. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Saving more than $19.3 million and preventing the emissions of more than 31,500 metric tons of carbon dioxide since 2008.
- Benchmarking 100 percent of DMPS facilities in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, totaling over 6.1 million square feet to achieve an average ENERGY STAR score of 79.5.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 49 eligible buildings and spending $0.78 per square foot on energy costs, significantly lower than the national average of $1.37.
- Continuing its initiative for all interior and exterior lighting to be LED by installing more than 1,200 LED high bay fixtures, saving approximately $52,000 in annual energy costs.
- Utilizing the ENERGY STAR Treasure Map for K-12 Schools to complete building tune-up audits, identifying savings opportunities in seven buildings.
- Creating individualized and interactive energy report cards for every school building to increase awareness and educate students, faculty and the community on the importance of energy conservation.