Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is the largest public school district in Iowa, educating more than 31,000 children each year, and is receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition. DMPS promoted energy efficiency awareness to students, staff, and the community and has continued its longstanding commitment to sustainability and implementation of ENERGY STAR best practices for comprehensive energy management. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Saving more than $16 million and preventing the emissions of more than 25,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide since 2008, while achieving an average portfolio-wide ENERGY STAR score of 79, an increase of more than two percent from the previous year.
- Utilizing the ENERGY STAR Treasure Map for K-12 Schools to complete building tune-up audits, identifying savings opportunities in 15 buildings.
- Creating individualized energy posters and report cards for every school building to increase awareness and educate students, faculty, and the community on the important of energy conservation.
- Spending an average of $120 per student on energy costs, significantly lower than the national average of $205 per student while continuing its initiative to install 100 percent LED lighting by 2020 leading to an annual savings of $197,000 in energy costs.
- Encouraging Des Moines area businesses and community members to engage with ENERGY STAR and enrolling DMPS buildings in the Energize Des Moines voluntary competition.
- Helping the city earn a place on EPA’s 2018 ENERGY STAR Top Cities list of mid-sized cities, with 50 of the 66 buildings earning ENERGY STAR certification in Des Moines coming from the school district.
Add profile here