Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is the largest public school district in Iowa, educating more than 32,000 children each year while promoting energy efficiency awareness to students, staff, and the community. DMPS is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its longstanding commitment to sustainability and implementation of ENERGY STAR best practices for comprehensive energy management. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 94 percent of school district buildings, with an average ENERGY STAR score of 92 across all buildings.
- Spending an average of $114 per student on energy costs, significantly lower than the national average of $205 per student.
- Saving more than $15 million cumulatively since 2008, preventing the emissions of more than 9,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide.
- Replacing more than 23,000 fluorescent lights with LED lights, resulting in a savings of more than 910,000 kilowatt hours annually.
- Decreasing site energy use by more than 128 million kilo British thermal units (kBtu) and source energy use by more than 124 million kBtu since 2009.
- Purchasing more than 13,000 ENERGY STAR certified computers for students and staff across the district.
- Creating an upgraded interactive and data-centric DMPS Energy Report Card that provides insight into district-wide and building-specific energy usage.