Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is the largest public school district in Iowa with more than 32,000 students. DMPS partners with ENERGY STAR® to promote energy efficiency awareness and education to students, faculty and staff members, and the greater community. The district utilized the ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management in the development and execution of their district-wide energy plan. DMPS is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to demonstrating environmental and financial stewardship through comprehensive energy management, based on ENERGY STAR best practices. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for eight new buildings, with a total of 57 ENERGY STAR certified buildings in the district.
- Maintaining an average 1-100 ENERGY STAR score of 91 across the DMPS portfolio.
- Reducing the district-wide annual source energy intensity from 112.9 to 108.7 thousand British thermal units (kBtu) per square foot.
- Deploying full-facility light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofits for 15 buildings, resulting in the installation of more than 7,200 ENERGY STAR certified LED fixtures and 4,000 ENERGY STAR certified LED replacement lamps.
- Implementing numerous energy efficiency projects including, but not limited to: installing a high-efficiency geothermal heating and cooling system; updating system controls; making heat pump, boiler, and cooling tower improvements; upgrading to direct digital control systems; and replacing inefficient windows and doors with high-efficiency installations.
- Spending an average of $114 per student on energy cost, more than $90 below the national average of $205 per student.